Suspension of the U.S. and Illinois State Constitution Test
Due to the COVID-19 virus and the limited access to testing, the Illinois Community College Board (ICCB) has approved the suspension of the administration of the U.S. and Illinois State Constitution and the Flag Test (“Constitution Test”) through December 31, 2021. During this period of time when testing is unavailable for the Constitution Test, to avoid undue hardship on test takers, the ICCB will award the Illinois High School Equivalency (HSE) Certification upon successful completion and passage of the GED® or HiSET® exam. This policy is effective February 1, 2021 through December 31, 2021.
The suspension of the Constitution Test requirement means:
- Anyone who completes and passes an ICCB-approved high school equivalency exam (GED® or HiSET®) based on the State of Illinois requirements between February 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 will be issued an Illinois High School Equivalency (ILHSE) Certificate.
- Anyone who completed and passed a high school equivalency exam (GED®, HiSET®, or TASC™) but did not pass the constitution test prior to February 1, 2021, will be issued an Illinois High School Equivalency (ILHSE) Certificate upon request.
High school equivalency records are held at the county level in Illinois. To request copies of an official transcript or Illinois High School Equivalency Certificate, candidates must contact the Regional Office of Education for the county where the test was taken.
High school equivalency candidates may find the appropriate Regional Office of Education to contact by searching our ROE locator at: http://iccbdbsrv.iccb.org/roesearch/citysearch.cfm
If you have any questions, please contact the ICCB at: firstname.lastname@example.org
About the U.S. and Illinois State Constitution Test
In order to earn an Illinois High School Equivalency Certificate, candidates were historically required to take and pass the U.S. and Illinois State Constitution and Flag Test (“Constitution Test”) as required by Illinois Compiled Statutes – School Code (105 ILCS 5/27-3) in addition to completion of a high school equivalency exam (GED®, HiSET®, or TASC™) or a transcript-based Alternative Method of Credentialing.
As of February 1, 2021, administration of the Constitution Test has been suspended. However, adult education programs may continue to utilize the Constitution Test or its associated study guide as part of their civics curricula.
CONSTITUTION TEST PREPARATION
The Constitution Study Guide of the United States and State of Illinois can be downloaded here for FREE.
Students can purchase a single copy of a Constitution Study Guide by following the directions below:
- Send a check or money order in the amount of $5.15 to: CPC, 1 University Circle, Horrabin Hall 71B, Macomb, IL 61455.
- Include a note in the envelope indicating the preferred language of the study guide (Spanish or English) along with the address to which you would like the study guide sent.
- Allow 10 days for delivery.
- If you wish to use a debit/credit card, please call (309) 756-2194 ext. 2 to place your order and make payment.
Please contact your local Regional Office of Education* for more information about scheduling the Constitution Test.
*Cook County residents should contact the Cook County HSE Records Office at 312-814-4488 or by email at email@example.com.