The Illinois Community College Board (ICCB) coordinates a statewide system for the review of instructional programs. The Program Review Manual 2017-2021 provides guidelines and describes reporting methods for statewide review of instructional programs by community colleges.
The Statewide Program Review System recognizes that individual colleges have the primary responsibility to evaluate instructional programs, to make decisions about improvement and continuation, assure that program review results are considered in campus planning and budget development, and to report results to the Illinois Community College Board. The purpose of program review submissions at the statewide level is to support campus-level planning and decision-making related to:
- Assuring the continuing need and improving the quality and cost-effectiveness of instructional programs;
- Assessing, improving, and updating programs on a regular basis;
- Discontinuing programs when there is no longer sufficient demand, quality cannot be maintained at an acceptable level, or they are no longer cost effective; and to
- Identify best practices, exemplary innovations, and program issues that need to be addressed at the state-level by the ICCB.
The Program Review Manual and review instruments for the 2017-2021 cycle have been significantly modified. The Manual is provided below. Additionally, each review instrument is available as a separate document for your convenience.
In collaboration with the participation of 49 experts from community colleges across the state and ICCB, the Office of Community College Research and Leadership (OCCRL) conducted a participatory evaluation of the ICCB program review process, with a focus on career and technical education programs. Preliminary findings from that process include 1) key environmental and institutional factors that vary among colleges statewide that must be accounted for in the program review design; 2) five critical design challenges and ideas for addressing them; and 3) design considerations for advancing the program review moving forward.
The ICCB has contracted with OCCRL to provide a space for networking, discussion, and additional resources to the field on program review.
- Cover Page
- Review Instruments:
- Cross-Disciplinary Review Instruments: