Recommendations of the Illinois Community College Chief Academic Officers (ICCCAO) & Illinois Community College Chief Student Services Officers (ICCCSSO) on Placement Methods and Scores
On June 1, 2018, the Illinois Council of Community College Presidents approved a common placement framework for the 48 Illinois Community Colleges. This framework operates under the following assumptions:
- The document recommends that colleges use multiple measures for placement. At this point, it is not a mandate, but a system wide agreement. Many more steps are required to reach full implementation and complete consistency.
- The recommendation suggests a list of valid measures to choose from, including the scores on those measures.
- The recommendation charges the ICCB with doing further research about the validity of those measures.
- The recommendation charges the ICCB with putting together a working group to go over implementation issues. This working group must come from a cross-section of stakeholders in the Illinois community college system.
- The document demonstrates that the Illinois Community College system is aware of disparities in placement across the state and is actively working to correct those disparities in a collaborative manner.
- The ICCB has supported this effort, has been involved in high-level conversations about this work, and has worked to balance local control issues with the need for more statewide consistency on this issue.